Solo Travel Tips and Tricks
Surviving your first solo trip
Taking your first leap as a solo traveler?
Traveling alone can be a liberating experience, with perks ranging from spontaneous trips to absolute freedom in choosing when and where you want to go. Traveling across Europe with a Eurail Global Pass is the perfect way to meet fellow travelers and locals in up to 28 countries. Taking night trains can also save you money on overnight accommodation.
European rail travel is generally safe but there's no harm in staying vigilant. As they say, "Safety first!"
Survival guide for solo travelers
- When boarding the train, find a seat that is well-lit, especially at night. Sit next to fellow travelers. Reserve seats if needed.
- Stay connected and update your friends or family regularly. If traveling in the wilderness, make sure that someone knows your expected time of arrival after a solo trip.
- Take care of your health. Is the tap water safe to drink? Bring a medicine or a first-aid kit. Better be prepared than sorry!
- Trust your intuition and blend in. Act like you know where you're going but don't be afraid to ask for help when the need arises.
- Be social. Join common hostel dinners, meet-ups, or free walking tours to meet more people
- Don't be too complacent. Research your destination before making the trip. Dress like a local. Be aware of the local customs, traditions, or etiquettes in a certain place.
- Don't fall into common scams and con games. Talk to locals about which places or neighborhoods to avoid.
- Don't leave your valuables out of sight. Secure your travel documents. Keep extra money in a couple of places.
- Don't blow your budget. Traveling solo can be more costly because there is no one to share the costs with. Plan your daily expenditure and be wise about spending money.
Top spots for solo travel
Embrace your time alone and enjoy the rolling hills and countryside of Austria. This town in Tyrol is known for its beautiful landscape and overlooking view of the alps. A short train ride will take you to the heart of classical music in Salzburg.
Discover Innsruck with an Austria Pass
Denmark is considered one of the safest countries in the world with one of the lowest crime rates in Europe. The famous Little Mermaid statue popularized by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen can be found in the city.
See Copenhagen with a Denmark Pass
This energetic city is perfect for solo travelers who want to spend some time wandering around museums or drinking a glass of beer along the canals. The city is filled with travelers looking into making new friends from all over the world.
Visit Amsterdam with a Benelux Pass
Inspired to travel solo?
Enjoy your time alone and be spontaneous. Learn more about yourself and your strengths or weaknesses. Embrace the experience and revel in it!
Still a bit unsure to travel solo? Decide whether you prefer to travel solo, with a group, or with a partner!